STRATUS Vertical Lift Curtain System
A Vertical Lift Curtain System with Minimal Space Requirements
STRATUS is a motor-operated curtain system for vertically lifting curtains. Perfect for lifting main curtains, design curtains, stage maskings or even used for room dividers. The system is available in different assemblies and vertical opening styles such as flat or waterfall style curtains.
Porto / Portugal
Total of 22 curtains throughout Portugal's House of Music.
Pictured above: auditorium curtain of hand-torn and -knotted VOILE CS strips crisscrossed on nylon net.
Vertically operated on specially designed STRATUS lifting system.
Size: 72 ft wide x 49 ft high (22 m x 15 m).
Pictured at far right: various curtain and track systems with decorative, sunscreen and blackout/acoustical components.
- Rem Koolhaas / OMA
Project Director / Designer
- Petra Blaisse / InsideOutside
- Porto / Portugal
Brooklyn, New York / USA
- Four translucent white RIPSTOP fabric screens with STRATUS vertical-lift systems,
each 65.5 ft wide x 26 ft high (20 m x 8 m).
- For windows of a transparent pavilion containing a historic carousel;
the STRATUS systems lower the window screens for a nighttime shadow show.
Architect / Designer
- Ateliers Jean Nouvel
- Hale Everets
- Carousel Construction / Two Trees Management
- New York / USA
Moscow / Russia
- Specialized, heavy-duty, FENCE curtain machinery for main curtain.
- System raises and lowers from grid for system maintenance and to easily change rigging between tab and traveler curtain-opening styles.
- For tab style, curtain lifts to 41 ft (12.50 m) at 5 ft/sec. (1.5 m/s) max. speed; for traveler, it lifts 57 ft (17.5 m) at 10 ft/sec. (3 m/s).
- Total system weight 3,000 kg (6,614 lb).
- 12 motorized STRATUS systems with black SATIN CS draperies, each 10 ft wide x 77 ft high (3 m x 23.6 m).
- Bosch Rexroth Group
- Moscow / Russia
Bad Oeynhausen / Germany
Manufacture and installation of STRATUS festoon system.
Main curtain made from stage velvet CLIVIA 600; in red.
- Contour curtain with 12 individual programmable lift lines.
- ASM Steuerungstechnik
- Bad Oeynhausen / Germany
Paris / France
- Manufacture and installation of Double-layered Roman curtains (Sizes up to 15 m wide x 14 m drop) Roller curtains (Sizes up to 2.80 m Wide x 15 m drop ) from Blackout fabric ECLIPSE for sun shading / blackout of large scale glass facades.
- Mounted on multiple STRATUS motorised systems.
- In addition- 8 further motorised Roman curtains installed to enhance the acoustics of the space. Curtains manufactured from double layered WOOLSERGE in custom dyed grey.
- Dimensions (W x H): 2.50 m × 9 m (6 x), 3.30 m x 11.90 m (x 1), 5 m x 4.30 m (1 x).
- Tambè / Fondation Louis Vuitton
- Paris / France
Bremen / Germany
- Retracting STRATUS festoon curtain system for subdividing massive arena.
- Custom-fabricated curtains made from woven-glass textile.
- BgA Veranstaltung & Wirtschaftsförderung Bremen
- Bremen / Germany
Orange County, CA / USA
- Installation of a complex system that can convert an expo hall into a movie theatre and back again easily and quickly.
- 19.0 m (62 ft) wide MEGASCREEN TOUR system with a 19.0 x 8.0 m (62 x 27 ft) GAMMALUX® MIRCO projection screen.
- 21.0 m (69 ft) wide STRATUS vertical curtain lift system for retractable rear black out curtains made from velours.
- CHAINBEAM track system is used for a horizontal masking system for the projection screen. A custom hoist system was designed to retract the masking curtains out of the way while the expo hall is in use.
- Separate TRUMPF 95 track system for additional black out curtains.
- Truss system to mount speakers to behind the projection screen that can be hoisted to the ceiling for storage when not in use.
- Discovery Cube Science Center
- Orange County, CA / USA
- The tour used five STRATUS festoon systems each with a 3.0 x 8.0 m (10 x 26 ft) lifting curtain made from grey 8 point sharkstooth ISOLDE CS.
- Manufacture of four additional 8.0 x 8.0 m (26 x 26 ft) curtains made from the same sharkstooth scrim.
- Manufacture of a 16.0 x 8.0 m (52 x 26 ft) cyclorama made from GAMMALUX® front projection screen.
- Ollie Olma
- Tour Service Lichtdesign Detlev Götz KG
- Germany Tour